Your neck has a tough job. It holds up the same weight as a bowling ball all day long. The bones at the top of your spine, along with your muscles and ligaments, support your head, which weighs about 11 pounds.
It can be a delicate balance. Things like sleeping wrong and bad posture can cause neck pain, as more than one-quarter of American adults can tell you. It isn’t usually a symptom of a more serious health problem.
Neck pain is one of the most common medical complaints among both women and men, and thanks to the increasing use of computers and mobile phones for just about any activity under the sun, those complaints are becoming more common. Lots of factors can contribute to neck pain, including spending hours hunched over electronics.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON CAUSES OF NECK PAIN?
The most common causes of neck pain include:
- Personal injury. Personal injuries like slips and falls can result in neck injury and neck pain.
- Sports injury. Sports injuries like sprains and strains can cause stiff muscles, neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain, and more.
- Ergonomic trouble. Sitting in a poorly designed chair or sleeping on a bad mattress can cause a variety of muscle aches and pains, including neck pain.
- Poor posture. People who slouch may put extra strain on their spine, resulting in injuries that cause pain in the neck, shoulders, and back.
- Text neck. Text neck is a condition that occurs when the patient leans forward over a mobile device, causing neck pain, headache, and other problems.
WHEN IS NECK PAIN CONSIDERED SERIOUS?
Rarely, neck pain can be a symptom of a more serious problem. Seek medical care for neck pain with numbness or loss of strength in the arms or hands or for pain that shoots into a shoulder or down an arm.
HOW CAN CHIROPRACTIC CARE ALLEVIATE NECK PAIN?
Your chiropractor can alleviate your neck pain with a technique called spinal adjustment. Spinal adjustment is a technique that the chiropractor uses to restore alignment to the spine and balance to the body. By administering spinal adjustment, the chiropractor helps eliminate subluxations and take pressure off the joints and muscles. Spinal adjustment also helps restore good communication between the brain and the rest of the body, which can help your body heal after an injury occurs.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T TREAT NECK PAIN?
If you have a compressed nerve in your neck and you delay your treatment, you can wind up with shooting, electrical-like pain extending into your back and all the way down your arms. Over time, a pinched nerve can cause your muscles to become weak, and it can interfere with your ability to use your hands.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CHIROPRACTIC CARE TO TREAT NECK PAIN?
Chiropractic care is all-natural and non-invasive. Chiropractors don’t prescribe any medications and they never use surgery to treat your conditions.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF A NECK INJURY?
- Localized neck pain, which may or may not be severe.
- Neck stiffness.
- Pain radiating from the neck down to the shoulders and/or arms.
- Swelling and bruising.
- Decrease in sensation in the arms, legs, or body.
- Muscle weakness or paralysis of the arms or legs.
- Difficulty breathing.
ASIDE FROM SPINAL ADJUSTMENT, WHAT ARE THE COMMON METHODS THAT A CHIROPRACTOR WOULD USE TO TREAT NECK PAIN?
In addition to spinal adjustment, your chiropractor may use techniques such as:
- Stretches and exercises. Stretches and exercise can help keep your muscles loose and flexible, and can also help you maintain muscle strength. Doing stretches and exercise on a regular basis can help prevent injuries that might cause neck injuries.
- Massage therapy. Massage therapy is a technique that chiropractors use to improve circulation and loosen tight muscles, which can help patients feel better after an injury occurs.
- Lifestyle adjustment. Adjusting your lifestyle and daily habits can help you avoid injuries and neck pain in the future.
TALK WITH AN EXPERT!
The best way to know what’s causing your neck pain is to schedule an office visit at Health First Chiropractic so we can perform a thorough physical exam and evaluation. It’s the first step toward feeling better and preventing more serious problems. Talk with an expert today!
We love helping people of the Triad and its surrounding communities transform their health. It’s never too late to improve your overall quality of life. We can help you! If you are interested in bettering your life, be sure to contact us TODAY!
HEALTH FIRST CHIROPRACTIC SERVICES
- Chiropractic evaluation and treatments
- Cervical and Lumbar Spinal Decompression (for disc bulges and herniations)
- Concussion Treatment Management
- Exercise Therapy
- Knee Pain Treatment
- Spinal Back Braces
- Spinal Stabilization Program
- X-Ray Machine on-site